Mechanics Special: 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass 455 Convertible – SOLD!
October 15th Update – As word gets around about GuysWithRides, we’re starting to receive feedback on old posts. Earlier today, the claimed seller of this’72 Olds commented below that he sold the car in July. We’re officially able to call this one “Sold!” and we’ve updated the listing below.
While the muscle car versions of GM’s second generation intermediate body cars usually receive all of the attention by car collectors, the more sedate versions can be just as fun, especially if they came factory equipped with a 455 Big Block such as this 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible currently listed during the summer of 2020 in Chester, New Jersey with an asking price of $7,500 by the current caretaker who mentions he is out of time, space, and money to fix the items currently in need of repair. Checking the Hagerty Insurance Online Valuation Tool confirms this private seller has his Cutlass priced $4,600 below the current #4 “Fair” (Daily Driver) estimate of $12,100.
The fourth model year of the third generation Oldsmobile’s intermediate offering was never supposed to be. GM planned to launch its new “Colonnade” hardtop lineup for the 1972 model year however a crippling United Auto Workers strike postponed the new cars until 1973. Consequently, changes for 1972 on the Cutlass were limited to the front grille and the taillights. Buyers such as the original owner of this example could still opt for the big block 455 cubic inch Rocket V8 and the floor console-mounted Hurst “His & Her” dual-gate shifter when the optional TurboHydramatic was also ordered.
We love the seller’s assessment this is the perfect project car you can enjoy now while you attend to all of the items he honestly mentions in his description below. Good luck with the purchase!
Here’s the seller’s description:
“1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible
I am out of money, time, and space to work on it.
***TEXTS ONLY PLEASE*** TEXT ONLY PLEASE*** TEXT ONLY PLEASE***
IDENTIFY AS INTERESTED IN CUTLASS
THIS IS A PROJECT CAR THAT RUNS WELL ENOUGH TO ENJOY THIS SUMMER
• 455 Engine (Numbers do not match)
• Painted Toyota Candy Apple Red (Original color is white, I did not paint it) needs to be painted. There are
scratches and chips in the paint that the pictures will not show.
• Slight rust in some spots, not deep in the body, more cosmetic.
• Trunk DOES NOT LEAK but I put in a piece of sheet metal in it for support
• Great bones but needs a mechanic’s help.
• 7th & 8th cylinders have compression leak from the intake manifold that makes a whining sound when idling,
but the car runs well when going over 40 mph.
• Left Front Ball joint needs to be replaced
• Front disc brakes
• Dual exhaust
• Needs a Heater core. The current one leaks so I routed it through back into the radiator
• Also needs some minor repairs: Driver Side Rear Window molding needs to be replaced,
• Windshield wiper bottle is missing.
• Driver’s side door handle clip came off and is in the door well so door only opens from inside.
• Minor rust in Right Rear wheel well.
• Top is in good condition and does not leak. It goes up slowly (48 year old motor) Glass window is solid
• Interior in good shape, slight tear in driver’s seat covered by Sheepskin covers. New Carpet
• Extra parts and sheep skin seat covers included
Do you have a Cutlass Supreme story you’d like to share? Comment below and let us know!