1955 Jaguar XK140 MC Roadster – Seller Keeping
To inspect all of the pictures provided, click on the photograph below to enlarge it and then click on the gray “<” and “>” icons to navigate through all of the other stills in this carousel:
August 28, 2022 Update – The seller decided to keep this Jaguar in the family, so it will no longer be available for sale.
November 5, 2021 Update – With no definitive sale in the works, the seller decided to put this Jaguar into winter storage and will look at putting back onto the market in the spring.
September 28, 2021 Update – As word continues to spread about GuysWithRides.com and the great classic cars we offer at auction, we’ve agreed to offer this stunning 1955 Jaguar XK140 MC Roadster before winter hits.
July 16, 2021 Update – Bidding on this 1955 Jaguar XJ140 MC did not meet the seller’s reserve price, so we’ve moved this vintage Jag to our “Rides Still Available” page.
Guys With Rides is honored to represent this stunning award-winning 1955 Jaguar XK140 Roadster in an online reserve-style auction on behalf of the private seller. Bidding opens at Noon Eastern Time on Wednesday, September 29, 2021, and continues for fourteen consecutive days ending at 7:30 PM Eastern time on Wednesday, October 13, 2021.
Jaguar introduced the XK120’s replacement, the XK140, in the fall of 1954 as a 1955 model. Exterior changes distinguishing it from the XK120 included more substantial front and rear bumpers with overriders and flashing turn signals (operated by a switch on the dash) mounted above the front bumper. The grille remained the same size but became a one-piece cast unit with fewer, and broader, vertical bars. The Jaguar badge was incorporated into the grille surround. A chrome trim strip ran along the center of both the hood (“bonnet”) and trunk (“boot”) lids. An emblem on the boot lid contained the words “Winner Le Mans 1951–3”.
Chris, the current caretaker, commissioned a high-quality, ground-up restoration of this Jaguar XK140 MC that was completed eleven years ago. While cosmetically restored faithfully to its original condition, the seller notes the following upgrades recognized by vintage Jaguar enthusiasts designed to improve the driveability, reliability, and safety of this XK140:
- The original transmission has been replaced with a modern full-synchromesh Ford T5 five-speed equipped with a manual overdrive top gear. The seller selected the T5 transmission because it was quiet, smooth, reliable, and the gear ratio was almost identical to the original Jaguar Transmission. The original transmission did not have complete synchromesh and the electric overdrive was problematic.
- As part of the engine rebuild, the original XK rope-style rear main (notorious for leaking copious amounts of oil) was replaced with a modern seal upgrade kit to prevent leaks.
- The seller installed a Zeus Front Disc Brake Conversion were installed in spring 2017. The original brakes had problems; brakes would fade and the car did not stop quickly. The Zeus front disk brakes corrected the issues.
- Modern seat belts, not available when the car was new, were added for safety.
- The five-spoke wire wheels are powder coated versus painted when new.
- This XK140 MC rides on four original-size Coker Classic Tires with 3 1/2” whitewalls and includes a fifth matching spare.
- Jaguar engines of this vintage tend to heat up quickly when driven in slow traffic on hot summer days. To prevent this, the seller installed a radiator booster cooling fan with a manual switch.
- While Xk140 MCs came from the factory equipped with dual exhausts, the original system was not made of stainless steel. The restoration upgraded the exhaust to longer-lasting stainless material.
- The XK140 OTS or Roadsters were not delivered with either a top or side curtains when new. Biscuit color components were fabricated and added during this car’s restoration.
- Fog Lights that would have been included as part of the MC package have been sourced and installed since the car’s restoration.
During his ownership, Chris notes that a minor crack in one of the engine’s water jackets was discovered. Chris had the crack professionally repaired and since this XK140 has added approximately five thousand miles with no signs of leaking or any trouble overheating. The Lemon Squad Pre-Purchase Inspection available below confirmed no issues with said repair.
When first restored, Chris’ XK140 won “Best in Class” among European sports cars at the prestigious Bay Harbor Car & Boat Show held in Bay Harbor, Michigan. At the Eyes On Design Car Show held at the Ford Estate in Grosse Pointe Shores, Michigan, this XK140 received the judges’ “Design of Distinction” ribbon. Pictures of the awards are provided in this photo carousel (click on the picture below to expand the first one and navigate through the others):
The image below provides the link to the complimentary LemonSquad.com Pre-Purchase Inspection (“PPI”) completed in June 2021 for this auction. The inspector noted the windshield wipers and washers are currently not working, something the seller was not aware of as he never drives the Jaguar whenever there is even a slight chance of rain. The inspector also noted an intermittent fuel gauge. The seller currently has a replacement float ordered and that will be included as part of the sale. Additionally, it should be noted that while all of the proper hoses and fittings are in place, the heater is currently not hooked up to circulate coolant through it.
Click on the picture below to review the complete report.
To help you make informed bids, we’re providing a link to Classic.com, the analytics and search engine for the Classic Car market, that provides an interactive graph of recent comparable sales in the past two years. By clicking on the green dots, you can navigate to each comparable car sold as a way to help you make an educated bid on the car we are featuring for auction here:
The seller agreed to a very reasonable reserve relative to the condition of his Jaguar. If you have any questions about this 1955 Jaguar XK140 MC, please leave a comment below or feel free to call Rudy directly at 877-468-6497. Thank you for looking and happy bidding!